Before inviting prospective tenants for a viewing, here are some handy tips from our experienced Lettings team to help make the property as appealing as possible and ensure a quick let:
1) Create a good impression inside and out. Inside, make sure the property is clean and well finished with neutral décor creating a welcoming feel and appeal to a wide market. On the outside, remove rubbish, cut the lawn and pull out weeds and spruce up the paintwork.
2) No cream carpets/sofas – darker colours will keep their appeal for longer.
3) Ensure no personal items are on display – the tenant wants to feel at home straight away, so a blank canvas is ideal.
4) Allow the tenant room for their own belongings – they want to imagine their own belongings in the property so creating space is a must.
5) Put up “picture hooks” for tenants use – avoiding unnecessary extra holes in the walls!
6) Ensure good up keep of your property and keep it well maintained – this will encourage tenants to look after it too and encourage them to stay longer.
7) Keep the property warm – this can be through use of lighting and ensuring the heating is on when the property is vacant.
8) Basic furnishings, for example 4 set of pans/crockery etc. if furnished – this avoids clutter and will be easier to keep track of in your inventory.
9) Set the correct price for the property. Be realistic about what tenants will be prepared to pay in your area - talk it through with your agent if you are not sure.
And...to help everyone and keep things hassle free:
10) Leave Instruction Books and Manuals handy for appliances and heating/water systems.